spot_img
Friday, February 20, 2026
More
    spot_img
    HomeIndiaDefamation case: Rahul Gandhi records statement in Sultanpur court over remarks on...

    Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi records statement in Sultanpur court over remarks on Amit Shah | India News

    -


    Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi records statement in Sultanpur court over remarks on Amit Shah

    NEW DELHI: Leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Friday appeared before the MP MLA court in Sultanpur and recorded his statement in connection with a 2018 criminal defamation case linked to his alleged remarks about Union home minister Amit Shah. He later left the court premises after attending the hearing.Next hearing for the case is scheduled for March 9. The case stems from statements Gandhi allegedly made during the 2018 Karnataka Assembly election campaign. A complaint was filed on August 4, 2018, by Vijay Mishra, a BJP leader in Sultanpur, alleging that Gandhi made objectionable and defamatory remarks against Amit Shah at an election rally in Bengaluru.

    ‘I Challenge Rahul Gandhi’: Amit Shah Slams Cong For ‘Misleading Farmers’ On India-US Trade Deal

    According to the complaint, Rahul Gandhi had said that while the BJP claims to believe in honest and clean politics, it is led by a “party president who is an accused in a murder case”. At the time, Amit Shah was serving as the BJP national president.The remarks referred to the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case. However, in 2014, a special CBI court in Mumbai had discharged Shah in the matter when he was Gujarat’s home minister. The complainant contended that Gandhi’s statement was defamatory and harmed Shah’s reputation.The Sultanpur MP MLA court later took cognisance of the complaint. In December last year, the court issued a warrant against Gandhi after he failed to appear in person.On February 20, 2024, Gandhi appeared before the court, surrendered and was granted bail. His counsel moved an application seeking bail, which was allowed after two sureties of Rs 25,000 each were submitted. The court subsequently fixed March 2 for the next hearing.In July 2024, Gandhi recorded his first statement before the court, denying the allegations and terming the case politically motivated.Following the cross examination of the complainant and witnesses, the court in January 2026 directed Gandhi to appear personally for examination under Section 313 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. This stage allows the accused to explain the evidence presented against him.His appearance on Friday was in compliance with that directive.The case is among several defamation matters filed against the Congress leader over remarks made during political campaigns. Gandhi has maintained that such cases are politically driven, while Congress leaders have said they have faith in the judiciary.Further proceedings in the matter are expected as the court continues to examine the evidence and hear arguments from both sides.



    Source link

    Related articles

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Stay Connected

    0FansLike
    0FollowersFollow
    0FollowersFollow
    0SubscribersSubscribe
    spot_img

    Latest posts